Custom Search

Monday, January 9, 2017

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with Broccoli



This is a fantastic crock pot recipe from The Crockpot Lady. She flours her chicken and frys it before adding it to the crock pot. I just dredge the chicken with a bit of cornstarch and plop it in the slow cooker, it seems to work just fine. I've done it both ways and the chicken seems dryer with precooking it and the sauce doesn't seem to stick any better so I vote for the easier way. We eat this with broccoli but any rice fans are welcome to add it to their meal, just adjust the calories accordingly. 
I often cook with splenda rather than sugar. It is more expensive than sugar but I buy it at Costco or Sam's Club so it's pretty reasonable. I haven't noticed any taste difference in the meals when splenda is used. For brown sugar, I replace it with splenda plus a teaspoon or 2 of molasses. Works great. Saves a ton of calories. That makes me very happy


Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with Broccoli




1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks

¼ cup cornstarch
cooking spray
1/2 tsp salt
6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed, no pulp
1/2 cup splenda 
2 tsp. molasses
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 lb. broccoli
Cut chicken into strips or chunks, shake in bag with cornstarch. Spray cooking spray in slow cooker and place chicken pieces inside. In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, splenda, molasses, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Pour sauce mixture evenly over the chicken, and toss gingerly to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4. Steam broccoli on stove top with 1/3 cup water for about 6 - 8 minutes. Serve chicken over broccoli. 
Total calories = 1487
3 servings = 496 calories
1 serving Orange Chicken with Broccoli = 496 calorie dinner

this recipe is perfect for a busy day so that is where I am sharing it at the 
busy monday party

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post