Custom Search

Thursday, June 24, 2010

How do you get your kids to embrace summer reading?

My teens have been avid readers since they were young. We have always visited the libraries and had books in our home. Now that they are older they still enjoy reading. I feel the reason they love to read was because of things we did years ago.



  1. I took them to the library allowed them to choose the books they liked. The library was a bonding experience for us. We looked at books together, read books together and decided together what books we would take home.

  2. One thing that my children loved was that I always had a goal set up with a reward in the end. The reward was different each year and the number of books read changed as well. Small prizes such as a candy bar, or small fry from McDonalds was always on the list and the prizes grew with the more books read.

  3. Allowing them to see me and my husband read was also I feel an important step in them wanting to read. When they saw that we also read then they wanted to read more often as well. We could share what we were reading at times. Other times we may just ask each other questions about the books we were reading. It allowed conversation as well.

Do you have tips that you used to teach your children to read? TwitterMoms are discussing tips to help your child embrace reading at this time. If you have tips to share or would like to see what others are doing head over to the TwitterMoms discussion now.





I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms blogging program to be eligible to get an "I Can Read!" book. For more information on how you can participate, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post