Custom Search

Friday, October 7, 2016

October National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness




I have been blessed to be able to carry my babies safely through pregnancy. There were a few scares and a couple of them born early but for the most part it went well. I must say that I was terrified as I was pregnant with my first little one and even after all of them were born I was always alert and ready to act. We have had several miscarriages, babies lost in infancy and still births in our family. My mother, my mother - in - law, my sister, my sister - in - law, daughter and many other ladies have experiences these tragedies. I must say that it does not just affect one individual though when a life is lost whether in pregnancy or after being born the whole family feels the effect and we mourn the loss together.



The pain that is suffered from miscarriages, still births and the loss of a child are recognized in October. National Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month is the day to remember all those precious ones lost. Ceremonies of remembrance and candle lighting vigils may take place. The day of October 15th is universal day of remembrance for pregnancy loss and infant death.

Did You Know:

  • one in every 4 pregnancies ends in the loss of a baby. I had no idea til I was preparing this post that the number was that high. 
  • The loss of a child is one of the most intense causes of grief I know this and while I have not lost a child a loss of a life that we looked forward to gathering our family is something like I said affects us all
  • Parents never "get over" the loss of a child. My mother lost a baby over 50 years ago and still mourns for the baby that was born healthy and passed of SIDS.
  • PTSD, depression and anxiety can all result from the loss a parent feels after the grief of losing a child. These issues could lead to job loss, divorce, daily living issues, or issues of being parent to other children. 

The loss of a child stays with the family forever. Emotional and physical impacts become challenges in life. Others may not understand the grief and issues that may develop. Searching and finding support is paramount to recovery Awareness of these issues is the first step to accessing available help. Events in October help better people empathize and support parents on their journey to hope. 

My prayers are for all those who have lost their own angel babies. The pain that the individuals and families go through is terrible and never goes away. Family and friends who have suffered such issues need to know that you are there as well. Often miscarriages are suffered in silence and so we may not even be aware of all those who have suffered such grief. 




1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Thank you for taking the time to talk about this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post