Custom Search

Monday, May 23, 2016

Penny for your thoughts




May 23rd is National Lucky Penny Day. The old rhyme of See a Penny, Pick it up.... All day long you'll have good luck has been around for quite some time. My husband is one that pays close attention as he walks and picks up coins that he finds. Our grand-children have followed suit. Whether it be their lucky day or not it becomes lucky with a smile on their face as they have a few cents more than they did before. 




Years ago the penny had some worth. From and collecting them was very worthwhile. Now it takes longer to save them than it did before before enough have been collected to purchase anything. The inflation rate has made pennies less valuable. In 1793 the first pennies were made of copper. Since that time the metal value and cost of minting pennies exceed their face value. There are currently efforts that are being made to end routine use of pennies in several countries including the U.S. What do you think?? 




Some people believe it's only good luck to pick up a penny if heads is showing. A penny with the tails side up should be turned over for another person to find. On the other hand, many people believe any penny you find is good luck. What do you think?? 

shared at
meet up monday
Inspiration Monday

9 comments:

  1. Don't take my pennies away!! My husband just wrapped a bunch that we've collected over the last few years. We had $64!! I like pennies, I like looking for the dates. In this last batch we found one dated 1938!

    I have heard the thought that only heads-up pennies are good luck. But whenever I see a penny, I usually pick it up, and take it as a reminder that God's providence surrounds me every day!!

    GOD BLESS!

    (P.S. Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck or bad luck, money is money! We like to save pennies and use them as rewards for the kids helping us out with small chores. Then they can cash them in once they reach 25 cents :) Mostly spent on gumballs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you that penny gets you good luck. I usually pick it up and keep in my collection and never spend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always pick up a penny when I say it and say the rhyme in my head and YUP, I only pick it up if it's showing heads...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I believed this as a child and do remember getting really excited over finding one. Now, not so much. The penny is under celebrated so glad it has its own day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We only pick them up if they are heads up. We are actually emptying out piggy banks this week and rolling a bunch of coins, which I am sure will include a ton of pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time to heard the penny day, it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't believe in a lucky penny, and when I see pennis I don't pick them up. Surprised we still have them around. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do away with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have so many special day these days & a Penny day is quiet new for me, but sounds so much fun. I am really not sure if a penny brings you good luck or not, but at the end of the day Money counts!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post