Custom Search

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Blueberry Muffins


One of America's favorite muffins is the Blueberry Muffin. It all began when European settlers came to America with a recipe for "Bilberry Muffins" It was a favorite recipe but the problem was billberries did not grow in the New World. However, wild blueberries grew everywhere and were delicious. The blueberries would be substituted for the much loved bilberries and thus the blueberry muffin was born.

Blueberries have not always went by that name, Native Americans called these little blue berries "star berries" They are healthy and can help fight or avoid ailments such as cancer, dementia, as well as help promote heart health.



1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh preferred
1/4 cup sugar, for topping

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin; or line the tin with papers, and grease the papers.
In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl and beating well after each addition.
Beat in the baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
Add the flour alternately with the milk, beating gently just to combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries. Add the mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine and distribute.
Scoop the batter by the heaping 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pan; a muffin scoop works well here.
Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar atop each muffin, if desired. It's traditional — go for it!
Bake the muffins for about 30 minutes, until they're light golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the oven, loosen their edges from the pan, and after about 5 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.
Yield: 12 muffins.
recipe source King Arthur Flour




retweet recipe here


This post shared at
Happy Healthy Party
pink saturday
aprons and pearls 

shared on facebook group
social media network 8/2 click through
social media network 8/27 

post shared on facebook here

15 comments:

  1. I never heard of a bilberry. This is an easy recipe which even I can get do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blueberry and taken daily with my oats for my breakfast. Glad that this muffin has the blueberry ingredient as it is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 8 yr old has been on a huge bluberry muffin kick lately. I can't wait to try these out on her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's blueberry season here in Maine! Love making muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. Anything blueberry always reminds me of my grandmother who picked buckets full of wild ones every year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such tasty looking muffins. They are the ultimate snack in my house, my kids absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would live off of these. He is a blueberry freak!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son loves blueberry muffins! I’m sure he would enjoy making these with me (and then eating them all!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so tasty. I love a good blueberry muffin. PS - I've never heard of bilberries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These muffins look like they would be so good. My kids really love blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made some wild blueberry muffins last week. Last night my husband asked me to make more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a blueberry and cake lover. So this blueberry muffin is perfect for me. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blueberry muffins are one of my favorite kinds of muffins. I like them with cream cheese or struesel too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My boys love blueberry muffins so we try to make them at least once a week. Thank you fro sharing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a tasty treat that an entire family can enjoy preparing together. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post