Custom Search

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Historical Pie Recipe




I love studying history. One time in history I admire is the civil war era. I truly believe that both sides gave all they had for they knew that life as they knew it would be changing. Many say state rights others say it was freeing the slaves, I say that there were many direct and indirect reasons. There were rich slave owners that wanted to maintain their way of life and fought for the south. There were many that fought for the North that had brothers and family in the south. All men that fought on both sides should be recognized and honored for they shed their blood for reasons that they believed in.

This recipe is a civil war recipe that was recorded in 1856 near philadelphia. I found it on the blog World Turned Upside Down It is a rather frugal recipe taking few ingredients.




Crust:
- 1/2 Pound Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Flour

Filling:
-Peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
-Sugar

Cut the cold  butter into cubes and add to the flour, rub the pieces of butter though your fingers until entirely flaky. Divide the dough in half.  Roll out one half of the dough on a floured surface using a floured rolling pin. Place the dough in the pie tin. Fill the pie crust with the peaches and add sugar to taste. Roll out the second crust and cover the pie. Crimp the edges together and put some holes in the top crust. Bake for 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 450. Turn the temperature down to 350 and bake until golden brown, around 45 minutes.

How Successful Was It?: The crust was delicious. I definitely did not add enough sugar to the peaches. I was being conservative as I had never made it before.  I wish I had added some spices and more sugar to the filling and  a little sugar to the crust but was trying to keep as accurate as the recipe said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post