Custom Search

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

National French Fries Day




Drive past any fast food restraunt and most 3 year old would know exactly where they are at. My grand-babies have enjoyed french fries every since they were old enough to eat them. But, do we really know what a french fry is?? Where did they come from and when did they reach the U.S.?? 

French Fries (American English), Chips (British English), fries, finger chips (Indian) or French fried potatoes all refer to potatoes that are cut  and fried or baked in the oven.  Typically served hot, soft or crispy and eaten as part of lunch or dinner. They also make great snacks and are common place on fast food menu boards. Generally served with salt and ketchup. My kids love to eat them with ranch dressing others enjoy them with vinegar or mayonnaise. Some fries are served topped with chii cheese. 


President Thomas Jefferson was served "potatoes served in the french manner" at the White House for dinner in 1802. French fried potatoes are cut new potatoes in thin slices, put them in boiling fat, and a little salt, fry both sides of a light golden brown color, drain. The cooking term "french fried" was being used in the sense of "deep fried" and is used when cooking items such as onion rings. 




Some great deals you will find out there today July 13, National French Fry Day include

  • McDonald’s: Get a free medium order of fries with the purchase of any large sandwich with the McDonald’s app until July 24
  • IHOP: Buy a burger at the International House of Pancakes and you’ll get free, unlimited seasoned fries until July 31
  • Burger King: Get two Whopper meals for $10 until July 15 — that’s two Whoppers, two small drinks and two small fries
shared at

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, guess I need to make fries for dinner! My kids will be stoked, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating!! I love french fried of all kind... but wedge and curly are my favorite. Definitely something I try to save for a treat... but they are sooooo delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past as a child you couldn't get me to go anywhere for a fry other than McDonalds... Now you can't get me near any fast food restaurant! Homemade fries all the way! :-D Happy French Fry Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely eat fast food, but McDonald's has the best fries. They are a real treat for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post