Custom Search

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Vertigo influences Balance of Life

Vertigo is an illusion of movement and is a specific type of dizziness which causes the person to feel the sensation that they or their surroundings are moving, The person may be standing completely still and feel vertigo. You may recall as a child spinning around and around and making yourself dizzy. This is the same type of dizziness that vertigo causes. 
The sensation of feeling 'wobbly' or the sensation of spinning, swaying and dizziness. Vertigo sensations can occur as often as seconds or minutes to a couple of hours. Vertigo may last for longer periods of time.  

Vertigo is not limited to an age group and can affect anyone. There are many reasons as to why vertigo may happen. Like other disorders that cause balance issues vertigo can be treated if diagnosed by your general practitioner. 
The most common cause of vertigo is BPPV. This is due to minute calcium particles known as canaliths in the canals of inner ear. The job of the inner ear is to keep balance in the body. The inner ear responds to gravity and sends signals to the brain. BPPV is more common in older individuals. vertigo can also be the result of Vestibular Neuronitis causes inflammation in the inner ear and is caused by a viral infection. The inflamation affects the nerves that influences balance and leads to vertigo. Labyrinthitis is another inflammation of the inner ear that again leads to imbalance of body. 
Other infections and injuries may result in vertigo as well.Infections such as Meniere's disease is a bacterial or viral infection that causes accumulation of fluid exerting high pressure in the ear can also be lead to vertigo. Hearing loss and tinnitus may also be caused by this disease. Head and neck injuries , nerve or brain tumors, ear surgery, prolonged bed rest or migraine headaches all can be the cause of vertigo. 
Vertigo is diagnosed through physician test, MRI's and CT scans. The symptoms that one may have to lead up to the doctor visit include:
  • Nausea
  • Feeling imbalanced or tilt while walking or sitting
  • Blurred vision
  • Nystagmus or jerky or abnormal movement of eyes
  • Headache
  • Excess sweating
  • Hearing loss
  • Tinnitus


Once Diagnosed Vertigo can be treated in a number of different ways. The type of treatment depends on what caused the vertigo. Sometimes treatment will go away without the need of treatment as the brain may adapt by finding an alternative mechanism for balancing the body. Rehabilitation of the vestibular system is often diagnosed for individuals who suffer from recurrent episodes of vertigo time and again. The rehabilitation trains your body's other sense organs to balance and make up when vertigo occurs.
Epley maneuvers is treatment suggested for BPPV. The maneuvers is a series of movements to help remove the calcium deposits that causes vertigo. In addition medication can be prescribed to help reduce symptoms of vertigo. Drugs ranging from anti inflammatory, antibiotics or steroids all can be prescribed to help reduce swelling and cure infections. In some cases such as to remove tumors or head injuries surgery will be recommended. 





22 comments:

  1. Very informative and detailed post on Vertigo. If you don't mind me asking, do you have it?

    www.KatrinaJeanCarter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have a real good friend that does and she suffers quite often
      thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment

      Delete
  2. I occassionally get vertigo and find the manipulations do seem to help. It is agonizing though while I go through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well imagine I have a friend that suffers with it as well
      thanks for stopping by and leaving a great comment

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I never really taught about different causes of vertigo and this post was helpful!
    https://inspirationellablog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post. I've been on your blog lots. Always nice fun to read content :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have all had a bout of this in our time. I'm glad it has only been temporary for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a couple of people at my workplace who would complain about vertigo and always had a tough time getting the problems worked out with their doctor. It sounds like a tough issue to deal with that can range from many different issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems to be striking more people than ever. I had it seirously in my 20s. Not a fun time
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I learned about vertigo is that it has different levels. It can me manageable and it can also push you back so hard you won't be able to function properly until it disappears. There are many treatments indeed, but that doesn't make experiencing it any better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vertigo is not fun. I often get it when I have a migraine. It can really mess with your mind and leave you down for the count.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vertigo is so not fun! I have experienced this and am glad it is gone

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know several people that have vertigo. I don't think people realize how much it affects you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of this! I think its time I look more into it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I hate vertigo! This is worst than migraine or than toothache!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of vertigo. Sounds like a very critical illness. I wish I don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a very rare auto-immune disease and I have developed severe balance issues. I can complete relate to vertigo because my symptoms are so similiar. It can be frightening when the sensation takes over. I love that you have brought awareness to vertigo! Many do not understand it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting, I have a friend whose mom has Vertigo. She had never heard of it until then.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know a couple people who had issues with vertigo. Good info!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know a couple people who had issues with vertigo. Good info!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I could personally realize the effect of Vertigo as there are times when I have felt everything around me is spinning around or moving around few seconds. But I am sure this can be scary when it extends for so much of time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very informative post. I have motion sickness and can't imagine how difficult day to day life must be for someone with Vertigo.
    XO, MJ
    http://www.lush-fab-glam.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post