Custom Search

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

German Based Dish For Dinner

I was blessed with a vast amount of heritage from my ancestors. They lived life and they loved it. One area is from my dads mom my grandmother. The Crawdocks were from Germany. In honor of her I am sharing this delicious sausage and sauerkraut dish that her family would have loved. 





  • 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 pounds cold pack sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
  • 2 pounds smoked sausage (andouille, kielbasa, knackwurst, or chicken apple sausage)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, or to taste, optional
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the onion and sliced sausages in vegetable oil until onion is golden and sausage is lightly browned about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the apples and saute for 1 minute longer. Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper. Add caraway seeds, if using. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Serve with crusty rolls or biscuits and a tossed salad.

Please consider sharing our post
shared at 

2 comments:

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post