Custom Search

Saturday, May 2, 2020

May Day

May day occurs the 1st of may and while we have only minutes left of it I thought I would share some history about it. It is a day to welcome in spring , it is a time where a great variety of events and festivities occur around the world to celebrate the change of season, and it is a day that has become known as International Workers Day.



The ancient old celtics of the British Isles held May 1st as the most important day of the year. On that day the festival of Beltane would be held. May 1st was thought to divide the year in half. It was celebrated as bring life and fertility to the world. As the Romans invaded the British Isles the holiday known as Floralia which was a 5 day holiday that worshiped the goddess of flowers, Flora. Thus combining the holidays and customs of Beltane with that of Floralia.



The May Pole dance and party was a custom that came about during medevial times. The maypole dance was a fertility rite. The pole helped symbolize the union on masculine and feminine. The maypole is thought to originate during the 16th century in Germany and Austria. A tree or tree trunk was put up and decorated and later it became a pole that was decorated with ribbons. The Maypole did not take off in America as it did in other parts of the world. However, America did share in its own historical events on May 1st



I can recall the first May day basket I made in school. I believe it was in the third grade and we made it out construction paper. In fact we made 3, one to keep, one to give someone we loved and one to surprise some with. The meaning of a may day basket was to fill a basket with treats or flowers to give to a neighbor or friend without them knowing. One will leave the basket on the doorstep of a neighbor , ring the door bell and run away. I delivered my basket to a widow woman who my family knew well. I took the basket that I had made and picked common flowers like violets and daisies on the way home, took that basket I was so proud of and placed it on the concrete door step of the ladies house, knocked on the door as there was no bell and ran.... hid behind a bush to watch her expression she was so excited and loved it very much. Thus a memory I will never forget of how to make someone smile... an early lesson on how to treat others.




Oh those simple days of past... no matter if you celebrate or not I  wish you
Happy May Day

retweet post
shared on facebook 
pin post

shared at 
facebook linkup == avn facebook share / comment -- 5/5 -- done
facebook linkup === lifestyle / mom blogger facebook like / comment -- 5/5 --- done
facebook linkup === avn facebook share / comment === 5/8 -- done
facebook linkup === avn facebook share / comment == 5/10 === done

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this...Brought back a lot of memories about celebrating May Day as a child..Seems like it is not celebrated any more like I remember it being done when I was a child...
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of interesting things about May Day.
    I don't remember ever celebrating it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to those simpler times? Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post