Custom Search

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Bubble and Squeak #Recipe common to the British and Irish


With St Patrick Day coming up I thought we may take a look at a few dishes that are common in Ireland. Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British breakfast dish made from potatoes and cabbage. The dish is often made up with leftover veggies that may have been cooked with a roast. Potatoes and cabbage both dishes that are common in Ireland are the main ingredients.


4 tbsp butter  
½ cup onion, finely chopped 
Leftover mashed potato 
Any leftover vegetables, cabbage, swede, carrots, peas, Brussels Sprouts, finely chopped 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large frying pan melt the butter, add the chopped onion and fry gently for 3 mins or until soft. Turn the heat up slightly and add the mashed potato and vegetables. Fry for 10 mins turning over in the melted butter two or three times ensuring the potato and vegetables are thoroughly reheated. Press the potato mixture on to the base of the pan with a spatula and leave to cook for 1 min. Flip over and repeat.


retweet post
pin post
shared on facebook 

shared at 
facebook linkup --- blog and social media ct --- 3/14 === done
home and garden thursday
facebook linkup --- cbb blog comment === 4/6

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious...and I am always looking for St. patrick's recipes...although I may make this now that I am stuck in quarantine...does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an easy recipe! I bet these would be wonderful served with a little bit of sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of bubble & squeak before but I didn't know this is what it was! It sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post