Custom Search

Saturday, December 1, 2018

A Few Kernals of Maize ++++ Recipe


Maize is another word for corn. It is a cereal grain that was first used by the indigenous people of southern Mexico. For about 10,000 years Maize has been used as food in many parts of the world. The amount grown passes the amount of wheat or rice grown. While a great amount of maize is grown only a bit is used for human consumption with much of it being used for corn ethanol, animal feed and other maize products

About 9,000 years ago Maize was grown in southern Mexico. The crop then spread into lower Central America as well as into the inter Andean Valleys of Colombia In the beginning maize plants only grew 1 inch long corn cobs per plant. The tribesmen cultivated the crops into growing several ears of corn on the plants each growing several inches long. Perhaps the growing style helped it become the most widely grown grain crop in Americas.



The type of corn grown in Illinois most times is sweet corn. This type of maize is grown for human consumption as kernels. Field corn is used as animal feed



The word maize comes from the Spanish form of indigenous Taino word for plant. The word "corn" outside of North America, Australia and New Zealand means any cereal crop including the local staple crop in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. In additon, "Indian Corn" is also known as maize but also signifies "flint corn" that is used only for decoration.

Maize comes in  variety of colors. This crop started out before humans cultivation as a grass. Whether used for making corn flour, eaten on the cob or perfect for popping. Maize day started out as project to commemorate the United States holiday of Thanksgiving through the viewpoint of the indigenous people.



2 cups corn frozen
1/2 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 chopped green chili adjust to taste
2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons oil

Thaw the corn in hot water and drain. Blend the corn texture will be creamy and coarse. I like to use food processor. Add all the ingredients to corn, corn meal, rice flour, chili, cilantro, ginger, lemon juice, cumin seeds, and salt, and mix it well. Mixture should be consistency of thick batter. Add little water if needed. Heat a heavy non stick skillet on medium heat and greased the skillet generously. Drop about 2 spoons of batter to make four to five patties into the skillet and flatten with greased back of the spoon lightly, making the patties about 1/4 inch thick and two to three inch circle. Cook for about two minutes until bottom turns golden brown. Flip over and cook from other side both side of the patties should be cook until golden brown.
Serve them hot or at room temperature they taste delicious.
recipe resource here

retweet post here

shared on these blog hops, linkups and parties
amaze me monday 

shared on these facebook group linkups
social ninjas --- comment 12/7

20 comments:

  1. I've never made anything like that before. I can't wait to give this a try. I love to make new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you like new recipes hang around as I try to share new recipes nearly daily. SO glad that you stopped by today and left a great comment

      Delete
  2. Catherine Santiago JoseDecember 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM

    Great insight and this is the first time I've encounter the word Maize is also called Corn. Amazing creativity and twist you've done on these recipe for our corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I was a bit surprised as I created the post as well. I come from the state of Illinois and sweet corn is king there and had never heard of maize but it turns out it is one form of corn

      Delete
  3. I have seen this kind of corn several times but still it amazes me how it was colored that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. again I was surprised with research but tried to include all with my readers

      Delete
  4. Wow, I learnt a lot! I never knew there were so many different kinds of corn! I want to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to learn new things so glad that I could share some knowledge with you as well. I hope you do try the recipe Enjoy

      Delete
  5. I only ever eat it off the cob, so good know there are some tasty recipes out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are lots of tasty recipes out there do a quick search on our blog I am sure you will find many here as well

      Delete
  6. Love all your information and must try this recipe! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a tasty recipe, I will definitely need to give it a try. It was very interesting to learn more about maize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these corn pancakes look so delish! I need to try and make these soon. xo, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these look.so yummy! I will definitely have to try to make these soon :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excited to try to make these - look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking really yummy these corn pancakes. Images are quite tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your maize cakes look so good! I just love corn fritters...I bet these are delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cornes! Want to try your cake so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woweee! We never knew all that stuff about maize! That’s fascinating and amazing that it’s used so heavily in things we like to eat too! We’re going to try and make the corn pancakes x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ve never heard of maize day before I think it’s really cool that you share this information is very informative.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post