Custom Search

Friday, March 30, 2018

Soup Can Casserole

I have many memories of my mother making a casserole made from canned soup. In fact it was one of the first recipes I turned to when I sat up house of my own. Since that time I have made a few different times raising our family , seeing them all leave, then they came back and brought their own children. 

1-1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 oz. egg noodles or other pasta of your choice (I used broken thin spaghetti)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 Tablespoons butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 sleeve Ritz or saltine crackers, crushed
Poach the chicken. Place chicken in a single layer in a deep skillet and cover with water. Add a pinch or two of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes. Check the chicken to ensure done-ness. It’s done when it’s no longer pink inside. Meanwhile, chop the onions, carrots and celery, and cook pasta according to package directions. (I like to under-cook pasta that will be baked, by about one or two minutes.) Drain and set aside.
Once the chicken is cooked, chop it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. In a large skillet melt butter. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until onions are translucent. Add both cans of soup and mix well. Add sour cream and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add chicken, noodles and parsley and mix well. Spoon into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle crushed crackers on top and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
recipe resource here
this recipe post shared at
No Rule Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post