Custom Search

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Congenital Cerebral Palsy Awareness

As a child I would see many things that would make me wonder. My parents were the type that would remind me it was nice to stare. One gentleman that was a friend of my parents looked a bit funny, walked a bit funny and spoke even funnier. Years later I found out that he suffered from Cerebral Palsy. Perhaps if my parents had shared that information with me I would have had even more questions but I would have known, that may of helped me but then I may of been a bit scared as well. Is it not funny that we are often afraid of what we do not know. That is why I enjoy learning and sharing here on my blog Annies Home. Today, we will take a closer look at Cerebral Palsy or CP.



Cerebral Palsy is caused by abnormal development of the brain or damage to the developing brain that affects the ability to control the muscles of the body. Brain damage that causes CP can happen before birth, during birth, shortly after birth, or during the child's first year of life. The damage occurs when the body and mind are still developing.

Risk factors of Cerebral Palsy include:

  • Low birth weight, less than 5 1/2 lbs at birth Those less than 3 1/2 lbs are higher risk 
  • premature birth, babies born prior to 37th week of pregnancy are at risk. Those born prior to 32nd week of pregnancy are at highest risk of developing CP 
  • Multiple births such as twins, triplets, and other multiple births are at high risk for Cerebral Palsy as well. 
  • Babies of mothers who undergo Assisted reproductive technology (infertility treatment) may have a greater chance of having cerebral palsy. 
  • Babies born to mothers who may have had an infection during pregnancy has increase risk. If the mother runs a fever during pregnancy or during delivery there is an added risk as well. Infections known to cause added risk to baby include viruses, chickenpox, rubella, CMV and bacterial infections such as infection of the placenta or fetal membrane or maternal pelvic infections. 
  • Babies  born to mothers with thyroid problems, intellectual disability or seizures have a higher risk of CP. 
  • Birth complications including detachment of placenta, uterine rapture or problems with the umbilical cord during birth can disrupt oxygen supply to baby and result in Cerebral Palsy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post