Custom Search

Friday, August 24, 2012

Strawberry Shortcut Cake

I love Paula Deen she is just so down home and reminds me of the cooking that my mother and grandmothers. This recipe was once featured in her magazine and must I share that it was a big hit at our house as well.
 
 
 

Strawberry Shortcut Cake

1 box strawberry cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)

1 3 oz package of strawberry flavored gelatin
3 C sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 C sugar
2 tablespoons Cognac (optional...I didn't use)
1 C heavy cream
1/4 C confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

bake cake in 13 X 9 inch pan according to instructions on box. Cool completely.

Invert cake onto platter (I left mine in the glass cake pan).

Mix gelatin according to package. Refrigerate until cool but not hard.

In medium bowl combine strawberries, sugar, and cognac. Let stand for 20 minutes.

Beat cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.

Use a straw to poke holes throughout the cake. Slowly pour gelatin over cake. I found it absorbs better after the top of the cake is saturated with a little gelatin liquid.

Spread strawberries in a single layer on top of cake. Spread whipped cream on top of strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I found cake really needed this time to absorb all the gelatin.

Garnish with sliced strawberries.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this strawberry cake. It looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post