Custom Search

Friday, July 22, 2016

Refrigerated Cucumber Pickles


I come from a pickle loving family. When I suggested we grow cucumbers to make our own pickles everyone was in favor. My mother used to make refrigerator pickles but I could not remember her recipe. I did find this recipe in the Pillsbury Harvest Time Cookbook. Whether you find your cucumbers at the farmers market, grocery store or grow your own they all will work nicely. This recipe is perfect for anyone who does not want to go through the chore of canning. 


 Refrigerator Cucumber Pickles


7 medium unpeeled cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon pickling, or kosher salt
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 cup vinegar
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon turmeric Optional
  In large bowl, mix cucumbers, and salt; let stand ½ hour. Drain well. (I rinsed off some of the salt). Stir in onions and green pepper. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour syrup over cucumber mixture; mix well. Store in covered container or pack in quart jars; refrigerate several hours or up to 3 months.
3 quarts

shared at plant based potluck

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your healthy and delicious refrigerated cucumber pickles with us at the Plant-Based Potluck Party! I'm pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post