Saturday, July 31, 2010
If you have tips for busy school mornings I would love to hear them.
- School Physicals are mandated in many areas when your child enters school and periodically there after. Athletes are often required to get a physical in order to play in sports at school as well. Make an appointment now instead of waiting to the last minute will save you some time and patience.
- If possible pick up the papers required for you to fill out for school registration early This will save you time, patience, and help speed up the registration process. Make sure those you are listing for emergency contacts are aware of the fact. Parents of first time college students like me need to be sure that all paper work is filled out entirely and turned in. Sometimes this requires a bit of nudging your (adult ) child to get busy as well.
- Shopping days are always fun but can require a bit of money. Being frugal is not always easy here but can be done. They always want to wear the latest styles but before you go out and purchase a whole new wardrobe look through their clothes and see what they need and what can be used Dressing up outfits that they all ready have will help you stay in the budget.
- One of the best things to do to get your children ready for back to school is to get them in a routine of bedtime That way when the day comes the first day of school will run smoother hopefully.
Friday, July 30, 2010
3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar, divided
1 1/4 cups butter, softened and divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Garnish: Pecan Praline
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans; line with lightly greased parchment or wax paper. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Place 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, and 1 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture and 1 cup milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating at low speed after each addition. Pour into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack. Place 1 layer on a cake plate.
Combine 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, evaporated milk, and 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cook (without stirring) until a candy thermometer registers 238°. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl, and beat 3 minutes or until thickened and easy to spread. Quickly spread filling over cake layer on plate. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; chill 15 minutes or until set. Spread a thin layer of Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting over filling. Top with second layer. Frost cake. Chill 20 minutes or until frosting sets, then cover and chill 4 hours or overnight. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Source: My Recipes
Last year during vacation in Florida
When did you last fly over ocean waters?
never I have never been in an airplane
What ocean sports activity seems like the most fun?
surfing and beach volleyball is all I can think of
What are your thoughts or feelings about public aquariums?
no real opinion here
What are your thoughts or feelings about sushi?
I would never eat raw fish
- While my kids are older now they do not care to much for the rides. But when they did we would always go on armband night. Armband night is where they get to go and ride all the rides they want for one price, the price of the armband. This was always a great deal.
- Food is normally higher at the fair. If you look around though you may be lucky to find a place offering free snacks or taste tests. Bring along a jug of drink if possible as the drinks at the fair (at least at ours) is 3x the price anywhere else. If you do decide to eat at the fair set a budget and look around at the booths you may find the same sort of dish for a better price.
- Entertainment at our fair is found in a couple of different places. The grandstand is always a great place but the truth is it cost money to get in there. On the other end of the fair is free entertainment often a band and great music. Look around there are normally great deals to be found at the fair.
Do you have any ideas? Would love to hear them.
- Be a parent that is aware of what is going on with your child. Children with active parents in their lives often gain more self esteem. The more self esteem a child has the better they can stand up for their selves and the less power the bully has over them
- While my daughter did fight back after years of torment this is not something that always works. The truth is the more the bully sees your child suffering and getting mad the more they feel energized to keep the torment going. Your child's pain is their goal.
- Teach your child that many children bully because they do not like something about their selves so by being mean to another they take the spotlight off their selves. Also many children that are bullies have been bullied their selves While this may not help at the time the goal of this is for the future and learning human behaviors
- If possible visit school, volunteer, have friends over and watch to see how your child gets along with others. Allowing your child to be part of activities allows you to see if their social skills are up to their friends. It also allows your child to build social skills
With these points in mind I wish you and your child a happy new school year that is bully free.
3 cups thinly sliced peeled peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 1/4 cups vanilla fat-free frozen yogurt
6 tablespoons fat-free caramel sundae syrup, warmed
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Place 2/3 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients (2/3 cup sugar through egg) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes). Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.
Spoon batter over peach mixture in pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Place a plate upside down on top of cake, and invert onto plate. Serve warm with frozen yogurt and the caramel syrup.
- This week me and the teens are all volunteering for bible school. While VBS is never easy it is always a great experience in the end. I am teaching a craft where we are making mexican mats and keychains. Hope to have pictures up soon
- money loss is money found at our house right now. WE just lost a source of income that will set us back a ways but thank goodness we always have a prepared budget with cracks that allows us to adjust if needed. While things will be rough it can be done
- Did anyone catch Oprah when she had individuals on that called theirselves freegans? This was a very informative show. I was suprised that our ladies group so many were talking about it
- My youngest daughter attended her college orientation. She is so excited and will start school in less that 2 weeks. SO proud of her she has struggled but keeps going.
- There is a big six flag trip coming up for the youth at our church my children will be attending I am debating on going or not. The cost is nominal but the heat and my feet are what I worry about.
- Tommorow is the first big shopping trip for the month of August. There are several new things on the list which states that it is back to school time.
- I recently was paid $30 from sponsored tweets. It really does pay off. YEAH!!!!>
This young man leaves just a short distance from me I know his mother well. I can imagine her in the stands scared for her son who after being flipped by an out of controll ATV came out with just a few bangs and bruises.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Popchips were created by people just like us. People who love to snack between meals anytime of the day. The most important thing to remember when snacking is that the snack must taste good. If it doesn't taste good then it is not a snack. There are a few other qualifications of a great snack that the makers of PopChips kept in mind. First they wanted to be sure that the snack was good for the snacker So they wanted to make the snack a natural snack. Along the search for the perfect snack and making sure that the snack still tasted great the makers learned that popping was the perfect method of preparing the delicious nutritious snack.
PopChips wants to give one of Annies Home readers the opportunity to the snack of PopChips on them. One lucky winner will recieve a prize pack that includes all the delicious flavors of chips.
To enter this giveaway visit the PopChip snack credo, read through the credo and create a snack rule of your own. Share your credo rule in the comment section.
- I love to pair chips and dips let me know what flavor taste great to you and share with me a dip recipe that you think would fit perfectly (3 entries))
- follow my blog via email or reader (2 entries each)
- subscribe to my blog (2 entries)
- grab my button and place on your wall (3 entries)
- follow popchips on twitter (2 entries)
- like PopChips on facebook leave message share your favorite flavor on their wall. (2 entries
- follow my blog on twitter (2 entries)
- tweet about the giveaway (1 entry per tweet unlimited must be at least 1 hour between tweets) leave link in comment
- blog about this giveaway link back to this post (5 entries)
Giveaway starts now and ends August 12, 2010. Good Luck Email must be in comment for entries to count.
we recieved a sample bag of popchips for purposes of this review. Thanks PopChips. The words and opinions are those of mine alone.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Riley Roos Shoes winner is
jennifer m. likes rileyroos on facebook
Cooperstown Cookies Co. winner is...
I know someone who would love the San Francisco Giants Sweet Spot Gift Tower
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
- follow my blog (2 entries)
- grab my button and place it on your blog (3 entries) leave link in comment
- add me to your blog roll (3 entries)
- follow only bandanas on twitter (2 entries)
- follow my blog on twitter (2 entries)
- tweet this giveaway (1 entry per tweet unlimited tweets but must have 1 hour apart)
- like only bandanas on facebook (2 entries)
- share this giveaway on your blog, facebook, or another giveaway site (5 entries each) link or tell me what you do in comment
- Giveaway starts now and ends August 11, 2010. Good Luck Email must be in comment or on blog profile or entries will not count
This is one of my favorite times of the year because fresh produce is located every where. If you don't grow your own then check out the local farmer market. Fresh fruit and vegetable platters can be sided with cottage cheese, pasta salads, yogurt, tuna salad, or egg salad for a delicious light meal. The nutrients in this type of light meal is great as well.
Don't you just hate it when you oversleep? That is exactly what I did this morning. The alarm went off and I hit the snooze button I thought to give myself 15 minutes more sleep. I am not sure what I did because an hour after I hit the snooze button I woke up. That meant that me and the teens all had to hurry up and get ready to go to bible school. We did just fine I just hate to be in a rush.
We are in our second day of bible school All is going pretty well and we are all having lots of fun. There is a lot of work that goes into bible school before, during and after but it is all worth it to be able to tell the story of Jesus to children who may not other wise be able to hear it. I have been a craft leader for the past 4 years. This year we are weaving mats and making keychains in our craft room this year. Each grade has to be adapted to. We will do the same crafts each day this week with a different grade. I often feel sorry for the first group that goes through as they are like the guinea pigs and after that we try to get it all figured out.
Meals this week at our house are quick and easy. Using crockpot and getting all ready to eat the night before makes it all a lot easier. The washing, housekeeping and cooking is all still here when we get home from bible school. But we love it and we can talk about the days on goings for hours. That is why we do what we do.
Monday, July 26, 2010
- follow my blog
- subscribe to my blog
- grab my button and let me know where you place it
- place my blog on your blog roll
Giveaway starts now and will run through August 8, 2010. Good Luck Email must be on blog profile or in comment or entries will not count
We received complimentary Breyers Ice Cream for review and a gift card from MOM Central and Breyers Ice Cream
- I shop either one time a week or once every 2 weeks. Knowing what the meal plan is allows me to puchase what is neccessary.
- Meal Planning relieves a lot of stress because I know what the meals will be and I also know that the ingredients needed are in the kitchen
- You will know how much time the planned meal will take to fix allowing you to have more say on how your time is spent.
- It allows me to plan meals on the nights that I will not be home and my kids can fix the meals that they know how to make.
Now you know why I create a meal plan and the benifits a meal plan can give you Here is my meal plan for this week.
- roast and potatoes, roll, pudding
- fish, mac n cheese, ice cream
- chicken wings, salad, dressing, pudding
- meatball sub, coleslaw, ice cream
- cowboy beans, cornbread, coleslaw, jello
- hash, bread/butter, peas, fruit
- barbq, beans, cornbread, cobbler
What will you be having?
The weather in my neck of the woods:
it is rather nice today not as hot as the past few days
Things that make me happy:
children they are contagious
Book I'm reading:
One in a Million
What I'm enjoying on TV:
no cable so watching lots of great movies
On the menu for dinner:
was a quick one hot dogs and chips first day of bible school
On my To Do List:
bible school all week
New Recipe I tried or want to try soon:
I have been posting lots on my blog go there to check them out
In the craft basket:
keychains for bible school
Looking forward to this week:
bible school all week
Tips and Tricks:
when dealing with children allow them a few chances at decision making but too many overwhelm them
My favorite blog post this week:
been lots of blog reading this week been leaving comments as I travel
Blog Hopping (a new discovered blog you would like to share with the readers):
there have been some and have loved them all
No words needed (favorite photo or picture, yours or others you want to share):
I have been sharing pictures on my blog and have enjoyed seeing others
Pickled Green Beans
Lesson learned the past few days:
take life as it is any harder and it would be unbearable any easier it would be a bore
On my mind:
Bible school all week and end of month things to do
Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses:
one of the sweetest verses was read in sunday school this past week John 3: 16
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Living with acne is not an enjoyable experience. For many teenagers the ridicule and the pain can be more than one can handle. My son has been pretty lucky to not be called the names I heard my sister with acne in highschool. The teasing by classmates can be unruley and help to tear down the self esteem of a teen who other wise was proud of herself. Oxy Clinical Acne Solution can help your teen to not have to face the torture and pain of acne in school.
Benefits of Oxy Clinical Clearing Treatment : ** from the Oxy website
- Data show OXY® Clinical Clearing Treatment kills acne bacteria as fast as a leading topical prescription acne medication*
- OXY® Clinical Clearing Treatment is proven to eliminate 99% of acne bacteria in just 8 hours
- OXY® Clinical Advanced Face Wash means 25 times more medication remains on the skin to fight acne longer
- OXY® Clinical Hydrating Therapy is a 3-in-1 formula that hydrates, exfoliates and controls oil
Buy: you can purchase the Oxy Clinical Acne Solution at stores such as walmart and target Visit the Oxy website where you can request a coupon as well
Win: we were sent 2 Oxy Clinical Acne Solution kits, one for review and one to giveaway to one of my Annies Home readers.
To enter this contest follow my blog Thats it one way to enter follow my blog
Giveaway ends August 1, 2010
“I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Oxy Clinical and received a sample to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”