Custom Search

Friday, July 22, 2016

Long Ago Summer Memories and a Custard Pie Recipe

One of my childhood memories is helping my grandmother at the community picnic. Sometimes I would help at the tables make sure all places were clear. Other times I would pour tea and coffee to refill glasses. When I got a bit older I started working the dessert tables. Pie at lunch service and cake at supper time. That way I learned many types of pies. One of my favorites was the Custard Pie. Today as I remember those long ago summer memories I decided to share a pie recipe. 


CUSTARD:
6 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon  cornstarch
3 3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon


DOUGH:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 egg
3 tablespoons water
DIRECTIONS:
1. DOUGH: Mix all dough ingredients together to form a dough.
2. Shape the dough into a round 5-inch disc, wrap it in waxed paper and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
3. FILLING: In a large bowl beat eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl mix sugar and cornstarch until well combined. Add this to the egg mixture. Set aside.
5. In a large pan over medium high heat, scald the milk and butter together.
6. Slowly add the scalded milk to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk together to blend.
7. Pour slowly into the pie shell.
8. Sprinkle the top of the filling with nutmeg. If you want to use cinnamon on top instead, sprinkle it during the last 10 minutes of the baking time.
9. Use a pie shield to cover the edges of the pie.
10. Bake at 450º for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 400º and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted half-way between edge of pie and center comes out clean.
11. Cool pie on a wire rack.
12. Store pie covered in the refrigerator.
May I serve you a piece of pie::
shared here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post