Custom Search

Monday, January 18, 2010

Good Onion Sense


Last week I shared about celery and parsley and this week I want to share about Onions



Sweet onions are something that I love. I can remember my father eating onion with most all of his meals. Now he was not as choosy as I am because an onion to him was an onion but to me I would much rather have an onion that is sweet than one that is hot to the taste. Vidalia onions are among my favorite onions of all times. Vidalia onions are mild in flavor and high in sugar and water but the best part is that they are low in tear inducing compounds. But the same greatness about the Vidalia onions are the same things that work against them. Vidalia onions are like most great things and are not meant to last. They are not meant to be stored long term and they should be used within a few weeks of purchase.

Quick cooking tip: if you like to have a sweeter kraut with your sausages then chop up a Vidalia onion and cook it in with the kraut.

One thing that I do not care for when cooking with onions is the smell that is left on my hands. If you are like me and the odor of the onions attach to your hands try this next time. Simply sprinkle hands with table salt rub together for a few minutes and then wash them.

Shallots are another form of onion that I do not totally understand fully. Shallots are part of the onion family and have a mild onion garlic flavor. You can substitute one medium onion plus a pinch of garlic powder for 3 or 4 shallots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post