Custom Search

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Strawberry Salsa

One of my favorite fruits and one that appears early in the season and often one of the first plants to produce are strawberries. My dad had a strawberry patch that he would add to yearly. It was a sweet surprise when he came in with a few berries and be willing to share.


Strawberry Trivia Facts
1. Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
2. Strawberries are the only fruit with the seeds on the outside.
3. Strawberries are actually a member of the rose family.
4. Strawberries are low fat, low calorie; high in vitamin C, fiber, folic acid and potassium.
5. In medieval times, strawberries were served at important functions to bring peace & prosperity
I love eating strawberries in many different ways. From fresh to desserts they all excite me. I love the yuminess of them all. Here is another great way to fix up strawberries. This recipe for strawberry salsa is great to serve to family and friends and even better to serve on a warm spring evening. Enjoy!!




1 cup finely chopped strawberries
1/4 cup finely chopped peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Gently mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Serve immediately.  You can make this a couple of hours before serving, but if you let sit too long, it will develop a liquid base.

Serve with cinnamon tortilla chips, or over top of grilled chicken, pork, or fish for a sweet and savory addition to your meal.

shared at
real food friday
plant based potluck

2 comments:

  1. I love the sounds of this salsa, so refreshing! I think I will try it as a crepe filling with some cream cheese! Visiting from the Plant Based Potluck Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy! This is my kind of healthy comfort food! Thank you for sharing your healthy and delectable Strawberry Salsa recipe with us on the Plant-Based Potluck Party Link Up. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post