Custom Search

Friday, February 14, 2014

Geraniums


Geraniums, one of my mothers favorite flowers. They are easy to grow annuals fit well in home garden, container gardens, flower beds, and even as house plants. Believe me that my mother pretty much grew them anywhere and every where she could. In pots, in flower beds, in plastic container, and wherever she could find a place to plant them. One of the places I know she used to love to keep them was in my bedroom in the wintertime. I loved how they looked but the odor they had was a bit to extreme for me. Just the other day I mentioned those flowers as well.

Geraniums are popular for the big, bright bloom and because they are so easy to grow. Geraniums also have a long garden life blooming from summer through fall. Bring them inside and they continue to live. Geraniums are hardy plants that will withstand light frosts.  The one thing that geraniums do desire is lots of sun and temps below 70 degrees.

 One of the easiest ways to start growing geraniums is to buy small plants from garden stores at very low prices and plant them around the garden and in containers. Planted in full or partial shade with a bit of compost and a general purpose fertilizer to maximize growth and plant health. Mid summer should see the plants growing bright white, red or pink blooms. One easy tip to keep the plant blooming is to pinch or cut off the blooms after they die.

Geraniums have a life span of about 18 months and will last through the winter as indoor houseplants. One good way to keep them blooming inside is to trim them back to 1/3 of what they are outside. They prefer soil on the dry side and a bit of fertilizer once a month helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post