Custom Search

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Watermellon Jelly

I have shared the importance of watermelon on my blog before. My dad would always bring my children watermelon in the summer time and as they sat and ate, spit seeds and spent time I was able to have a moment and relax. I never knew before that there was a watermelon jelly and I think that my dad would be happily surprised as well. So enjoy this delicious recipe
 



Watermelon Jellyadapted from Food in Jars
makes about 7 eight ounce jars


6 cups pureed watermelon (remove any seeds prior to pureeing)
5 cups white sugar (I think next time I'd add 4 or less)
1/2 cup bottled or fresh lemon juice
1 packet powdered pectin

Combine watermelon puree, sugar and lemon juice in a large, non-reactive pot (anything but aluminum). Get one bigger then you think, you'll want plenty of space for things to foam up without overflowing. Bring to a boil and let it boil vigorously until the temperature of mixture reaches 220 degrees. Be sure to stir frequently, you don't want it to burn on the bottom. Add the powdered pectin and boil for another five minutes.

Remove from the heat and pour into clean, sterilized jars, leaving about a half inch of headspace. Wipe rims, apply lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

When time is up, remove from canner and let jars cool completely, preferably overnight. When they’re cool enough to handle, remove rings and test seals. You can eat immediately or store unopened jars in a cool, dark place for up to a year. Print up some pretty labels (I used the template from here found at this cool site) and start scheming.

shared at
amaze me monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post