Custom Search

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hero From My Home Town

 
The Drummer Boy of Shiloh, Edward L. Hagar saw the troops marching down the main street of White Hall. He went home and made a pack and left for Camp Carrollton to join up. This story was told to us when we were young, I wonder if anyone ever talks about this young man and his service to our country. Another hero from "where we live."

Edward L. Hagar was a member of Company A 61st Illinois I...nfantry. He enlisted November 12, 1861, as a drummer boy; was wounded in the arm at Shiloh, or Plattsburg Landing, Tenn., on April 7, 1862, died of his wound May 30 at his home in White Hall, Ill., aged 14 years, 9 months, 26 days (according to official record) and was buried in the old cemetery at that place in the southwest part of the city on Carlinville street, east of Hancock street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post