Custom Search

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Depression Era Casserole

I find it funny that in those old days when money was low they still knew good food and how to make it mix into wonderful casseroles. This depression era casserole would have been one of those examples. This particular recipe was found on group recipes




1 pound ground round (hamburger)                                                
1/4 cup rice, well soaked                                                
2 carrots, cut in narrow strips                                                
2 onions, sliced thin and separated into rings                                                
4 - 5 medium potatoes, sliced paper thin                                                
2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 stalk celery, diced                                                
 
Preheat oven to 30 degrees F. Crumble raw meat into bottom of casserole. Add rice, carrots, onions, potatoes, celery and seasonings. Mix well. Dot with butter. Pour in tomatoes. Cover with foil. Bake for 1to2 hours

shared at
show me how

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful and filling. I often cook this way--pots of stews and casseroles. I guess I learned from my grandmothers who actually did survive the depression.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post