Custom Search

Saturday, April 14, 2018

The power of Mustard Greens



Hearty greens such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, and kale actually benefit from what some consider over cooking. Cooking these veggies low and slow makes them become soft, drab green and ugly as well. The good thing is that they taste so good.



Cooking greens over a simmer slow they are super tender, the bitterness mellows, and they take on a rich flavor. Greens are normally cooked with a salted pork but can be prepared vegetarian style as well.

Mustard greens are not as common as kale, collard greens or spinach but they are just as nutritious. In fact mustard greens have more vitamin K, vitamin A, carotene's and flavonoid antioxidants than some of the other common veggies and fruits. Mustard greens have a rich, peppery flavor.



The entire mustard plant including leaves, seeds and stem are all edible. Mustard greens originated in the Himalayan region of India some 5,000 + years ago. The mustard plant is often cultivated for its green leaves and seeds and production of mustard oil. There are a variety of mustard greens. Size, shape and colors help distinguish the greens. The greens come in colors of red, purple, and green.



Mustard greens may help protect human bodies from diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. One cup of mustard grams contains only 21 calories but has 3 grams of protein, 1 mg of iron, 104 mg of calcium, and more.

Mustard greens are healthy for the body and can help:

  • Mustard greens can help increase bile binding when cooked. In turn when the liver needs to regain bile acid it looks to cholesterol and the cholesterol levels are lowered. One of the best ways for bile binding to take effect is by steaming the greens. Bile binding can also help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. 
  • Mustard greens can help clean the liver. The high levels of chlorophyll in the greens helps pull environmental toxins from the bloodstream and neutralizes chemicals, pesticides and heavy metals in the body. 
  • Mustard greens can help promote bone health. There is 524% of recommended daily value of vitamin K found in one cooked cup of mustard greens. Vitamin K may help halt further bone loss in those with osteoporosis. Vitamin K also helps in blood clotting and bone mineralization. 
  • Mustard greens contain nearly 60% of required daily vitamin C that is needed by the body. Vitamin C and other antioxidants in mustard greens are valuable for the immune system. Proper function of t-cells, preventing and slowing cell damage of the body are also helped by the antioxidants and vitamin C found in mustard greens. 
  • Mustard greens contain retinol found in vitamin A as well. One cup of cooked mustard greens contains 177% of daily recommended value of vitamin A. Maintaining healthy vision and skin around the nose and mouth areas are jobs done by vitamin A. Vitamin C in mustard greens helps build collagen in the skin as well. Collagen helps produce firm and healthy skin and helps to prevent loss of elasticity as well. 


PRECAUTION:::

mustard greens are very valuable and great source of nutritional value but there are a few things that must be shared:
  • reheating mustard green leftovers, may convert nitrates to nitrites, resulting in bacteria formation. It is important to eat mustard greens immediately after cooking
  • Blood thinner medication like warfarin must be taken caution as well. Mustard greens contain high vitamin K 
  • Those who suffer from Oxalate urinary tract stones should be advised to avoid mustard greens. The natural substance in mustard greens may result in crystallization of oxalate stone. 


shared this food related informational post at
happiness is homemade 
melt in mouth monday

31 comments:

  1. I love greens! These kind of leafy veggies are very healthy and has lots of nutrients our body needs.
    Great info you shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting thank you for your gracious comment

      Delete
  2. So much helpful information! I actually have never had Mustard Greens but they sound amazing so I'll have to pick them up next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can definitely be tasty if fixed properly.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I had no idea mustard Greens could be so beneficial. Next time I am in the market, I will have to pick some up. Thanks for the great information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on a track of saying I never knew before this post tonight. My friend makes them and I enjoy them the couple of times a tear that we get together but, heck if they are this good for me I'll be eating them more often! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried mustard greens but I will now. The health benefits are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve never tried these before. I am curious to give them a try now though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think i have ever tried mustard greens but looks like it great for the health so I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great and very informative article. I don’t cook these type of greens often but I might have to get on it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the lesson here on mustard greens, I had no idea. I'll be sure to try some soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greens are a really big part of my diet. They seriously change lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mustard greens have always been once of my least favorite types of leafy veggies. However, I have had them before using the cooking method you mentioned above... and they are really delicious that way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother has fatty liver and I think he really needs this vegetable. We have been looking up for more options for his diet. Thank goodness, I have come up to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love greens, as long as I don't have to cook them! Every time I try, I do not cook them long enough. the health benefits are awesome but I just have to buy them already cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am thankful for my mom for forcing us to eat greens back then, and now its my favorite. Eating greens are good and help to prolong life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know how how amazing these are! I need to start liking and eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its a part of the Nigerian culture to make greens. Soooo so healthy for you. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. To lose weight up to 10 pounds in a week, these military diet menu and military diet Substitutes of following Military Diet will gives you effective way of losing weight quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I needed to thank you for this incredible read!! I unquestionably adored each and every piece of it.
    Are you facing a problem with your Router, extenders, windows, or phone? We are providing solutions for all issue related to technical issues. Are you looking for How to Troubleshoot Belkin Router then visit Fixmyrouter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mafia City H5 game's theme is base on western Mafia, where the play takes the role of a Mafia Boss. Play the Mafia City game now! Play mafia city,Take the role and become master of the underworld https://mafiah5.yottagames.com/play/

    ReplyDelete
  20. PayMyDoctor is an online portal where you can pay your medical bills online. Using PayMyDoctor, you can pay your bills easily and quickly.

    https://paymydoctor.club/www-paymydoctor-com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. we are going to List most & Mazor canon Printer error codes & how to Fix Common Canon Printer errors, if you have any doubts then visit
    Common canon Error Codes




    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this very much! I am happy to visit this site as usualVery useful info i got from this post. Very nice blog check here some of the best indian sacred literatures-
    hanuman chalisa hindi
    tamil
    odia
    hanuman chalisa in telugu
    bajrang baan hindi
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice collection on yours blog keep it up check
    check out-
    hanuman gayatri mantra
    hanuman ashtak

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice collection on yours blog keep it up check
    check out -Best tamil site for poems and kavithai
    Tamil Amma Kavithai
    Tamil Kavithai
    Tamil Romantic Kavithai
    Tamil Quotes About Love

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will remember to bookmark your blog and will often come back later in life.
    I want to encourage you to definitely MGWIN88 แทงบอล continue your great posts,
    have a nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day. เวกัส always helpful to read content from other authors and use a little something from their websites.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post