Custom Search

Friday, April 13, 2018

Spanish Fandango and The Guitar

In America during the 1840's there was a very popular piece of music called the "Spanish Fandango" Everyone wanted to play the song on the guitar. "Spanish Fandango" was printed in magazines and cheap guitars were readily available. Everyone wanted a six string guitar to play the "Spanish Fandango" After that point the six string guitar became known as the Spanish guitar. The punch line is that the "Spanish Fandango" had been written in Youngstown Ohio and truly had nothing to do with spanish music.




The list of guitars can go on and on. There are three main types of guitars 1. classical guitars with nylon strings 2. acoustic guitars with steel strings and 3. electric guitars with magnetic clips. Out of these three types there are an infinite number of guitar variations. Here are just a few of the many:



Tenor guitars were quite popular in the past but today they are rare to find. The tenor guitar has four strings and tunes like a viola. Smaller than a regular guitar the Tenor guitar is fairly wide. The tenor guitar has an extra note on each string


An acoustic electric guitar is an acoustic guitar with a pickup in it. The difference between an acoustic electric guitar and an electric guitar is that the acoustic electric sounds like an acoustic only louder.


A resonator guitar was invented in the 1920s. Invented so the guitar would be louder for recording purposes as the invention of Amplification had not been invented. A resonator guitar is a simple guitar with a speaker in the center.


A lap steel guitar is a guitar that lays flat in your lap. It uses a metal bar that slides up and down the strings in your left hand. The lap steel guitar was popular in country music and Southern Churches.





this informational musical post shared at
I'm Lovin It

14 comments:

  1. I never paid much attention to guitars only that I loved their music, until I looked a bit into one for one of my sons. I realized I knew very little but, here you have it all laid out in detail which I appreciate because this is how I learn. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wish I knew how to play the guitar! These guitars are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very informative post. I did not know much about guitar. I used to play the drums so I know more about these. Those guitars are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting history of guitars. I wish I learned how to play one.

    Madelain | http://www.wheremyheartwanders.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Spanish Fandago so it was very interesting for me to read about its rich history. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. It looks like a fun instrument to play around with. And love the music styles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These guitars are all so very beautiful! Sharing this with my brother because he loves playing this instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post, I learned a lot about guitars from reading it. It looks like a great instrument to learn how to master.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love guitars :) this is such a informative post :) i learned quite a lot about guitars from reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to own a guitar someday. No, I dont know how to play but there are some that is a work of art and I would like nothing more than to admire it in the comfort of my home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow those are some really cool guitars. We have zero musical skills, but have a few friends that are musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to think if I've heard a tenor guitar. I do think that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar! I even got an acoustic guitar but I just lack the musical talent XD This post contained a lot of info I wasn't aware of, thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have an acoustic guitar but havent played much over the past few years since having kids but I really need to get back into it

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post