Custom Search

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Introduction to Rhubarb


I grew up with a set of parents that loved gardening, landscaping and flowers. One of the many things that my parents raised in the garden was Rhubarb. The rhubarb plant is a member of the Polygonaceae family of plants. Rhubarb is a perennial that grows from short, thick stalks and produces large leaves. The long fleshy edible stalks are edible. 



Rhubarb can be used in a variety of culinary ways. The fresh raw leaf stalks are crisp and very similar to celery. The strong tart taste of rhubarb also offers a crisp bite. Rhubarb is not a true fruit but is often used in the manner of a fruit. The rhubarb stalks are often cooked with sugar and used in pies, crumbles and other desserts



Rhubarb offers health benefits such as:
  • promoting weight loss
  • improve digestion
  • prevent Alzheimer's disease
  • stimulate bone growth
  • skin health
  • prevent cancer 
  • optimize metablolism
  • improve circulation
  • protect the body from cardiovascular conditions
Perhaps it was my parents love for Rhubarb but somehow it has become one of my favorites. Come back and see what recipes, tips and information I share in the next few days. Enjoy!!!


shared this food related informational post at 
melt in mouth monday
sew it cook it create it
grace at home




10 comments:

  1. Rhubarb is pretty good. You wouldn’t think it is at first but you’re hooked once you try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently started gardening, but I have never grown rhubarb myself. I do enjoy eating it baked into pies though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea rhubarb has so many health benefits! I need to incorporate it into our meals more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a farm by my parents home that used to grow this and we would eat it when I was younger. Different taste but really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm saving this! I need to learn more about rhubarb since I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhubarb really is healthy for us but I never acquired a taste for it, even in a sweet pie. It has been years though since I've tried it. Maybe I need to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the more information about Rhubarb. Health benefits of Rhubarb is new information for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need rhubard in my garden this season. Thanks for sharing the health benefits of this veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was very eye opening since I had no idea about rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rhubabr and have been wanting to plant some in my garden for some time now. This post just gave the motivation to do so. Next season I am going to go for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post