Custom Search

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fritters


I recently bought a fry daddy and one thing that I can not wait to make it in it are fritters. Oh so sweet and good and full of fruit fritters are delicious to me. Just take a look at the fritter picture below what do you think?



I enjoy reading old recipes and seeing what they used and how they cooked. In this recipe you can see that the housewife must have known how to cook fairly well without real instructions or guidelines




Peach Fritters
Instructions
Make a batter. Take the fruit from a small can of peaches, lay it on a plate, and sprinkle with a spoonful of sugar and a glass of wine. Let it lie an hour, turning it once. Dip each piece in batter, and drop in boiling lard, or chop and mix with batter. Prepare the juice for a sauce. Fresh peaches or slices of tender apple can be used in the same way. Drain on brown paper, and sift sugar over them, before they go to table.

Source
The Easiest Way in Housekeeping and Cooking (1903)


2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold whole milk
3 Tbs. light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch baking soda
2 1/2 cups firm, peeled peach slices
3 cups peanut oil for frying
2 Tbs. confectioners’ Sugar


Beat together eggs, milk, brown sugar, flour and baking soda in large mixing bowl. Add peach slices, a few at a time, and coat well with batter. In large stockpot or deep fryer, heat oil to 375F. Using long slotted spoon, remove peach slices from batter, and place in oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Remove, using long slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Repeat process until all peach slices are fried and light brown. To serve, sprinkle fritters with confectioners’ Sugar, and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow. The fritters look aaaamazing! I love fritters. I actually just had one this morning. I would never have thought to make them at home. What a good idea! I might just have to attempt this recipe. I'll let you know if I do : ) Visiting from Tatertots and Jello. Hope you have a lovely weekend, friend.
    Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post