- 1/4 medium-small loaf country-style bread (I used a multigrain bread), most of the crust removed and torn into large pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 small red onions, peeled and quartered with some root attached
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked (or regular) paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped chives, plus more for serving
Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
Toss the bread with 2 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Grilled, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Toss the peppers and onions with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill, turning often, until tender and charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board when done. Trim the onion roots and separate the layers; transfer to a large bowl and toss with vinegar and paprika. Remove as much skin as possible from the peppers and discard. Slice the peppers into 1 1/2-inch strips.
Add the peppers, bread and chives to the bowl of onions. Toss with remaining olive oil and season with additional salt, pepper and vinegar, if desired. Serve sprinkled with extra chives.
Makes about four servings.