Custom Search

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Candied Quinces

The original recipe states that it only takes about 45 minutes to get them done, but I found that it took me about two hours to get them to the right consistency. I cooked mine low and slow to prevent the sugar from burning.

Candied Quinces (from LA Times

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 large quince
Directions
- Peel quince, slice in half and remove the core. Slice and cube the fruit into pieces roughly one inch wide and a quarter inch thick. 

- Combine water and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves. 
- Add cubed quince and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook until fruit is semi-translucent (the quince and syrup will turn a vivid shade of pinkish-red). 
Remove from  heat and pour into a heat-proof container. Cool, then store the fruit in the cooking syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You'll have about 1 cup (8 ounces) of fruit.
 
 
shared at

2 comments:

  1. Angie, I have never made candied quinces. Sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that my grandmother may have made these when I was younger not for sure,

      Delete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post