Custom Search

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

German Potato Dumplings

There are so many different potato recipes around , I know I have had tons myself and shared several as well. Today being national potato day I thought I would honor my dads mom my Grandma S. Grandma had 13 brothers and sisters and they all were raised by a doting German mama and papa. I remember meeting them but was not very old when her mama and papa passed away. To honor my grandmother who cooked many delicious recipes I want to share a recipe. I hope you enjoy

German Potato Dumplings


3 large Russet potatoes, boiled with skin until soft
1 1/2  teaspoons salt
1/8  teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 cup cornstarch
1 large egg
2 slices Pepperidge Farm sourdough bread, or other high-quality bread
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon veggie oil

In a large skillet- melt butter on medium-high.
Trim crusts off bread slices & throw them to the birds, you won’t need them. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes place in skillet.  Cook until golden brown.  Transfer to paper towel & pat dry.
Get your cooled, boiled potatoes & trim off peel. Cut into large cubes.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a large bowl- mash potatoes with fork or masher.  Mix in salt & nutmeg.  Add 1/2 cup flour & cornstarch.
Using your hands, knead mixture in bowl until smooth.  You may need to add a dash more flour if dough in sticky.  
Whisk in egg.
Form dough into balls, using about 1/2 cup mixture for each.
 Insert buttery bread cube into the center of each dumpling.  Roll dumpling between palms to enclose bread cube completely and form smooth balls.  It’s kinda like preschool Play-Do fun, right?
In a large pot- add half full of salted water & get to simmer.  Once simmering, add 4-5 dumplings into pot & cook until the dumplings rise to the surface, about 10-15 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer dumplings to large bowl.
Transfer to bowl & keep covered with a damp, clean kitchen towel as you cook the rest.
Once done with your batch, you’re ready to enjoy

recipe source here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post