Custom Search

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Vinegar Pie

This is a delicious recipe that my husbands grandmother used to make. As the wife of a minor she learned to use what she had. She was also a terrific cook making many delicious meals. I hope you enjoy!!




one 9-inch single crust pie pastry
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten well
1/4 cup butter melted
3 tablespoons evaporated milk, half-and-half, or milk
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar

I used whole milk and cider vinegar but am wondering and wanting to try another version using half-and-half and maybe malt vinegar?

Oven at 350. Pastry into 9 inch pan, crimp edges. Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a small bowl, stir together well. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, butter, and milk, mixing well. Then add the first mixture to the second and mix together well. Add the vinegar and combine together into a thick, smooth filling. Pour into the piecrust. Place on the bottom shelf of the 350 degree oven. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and bake until edges puff and the center is firm with only a very slight wiggle if you softly nudge the pan. Takes about 35 - 45 minutes more. Remove and place on cooling rack.

If vinegar pie any indication of the tasty treats in Southern Pies than this cookbook is destined to become one of my favorites even if I really don't consider myself a baker. I'm inspired though, by the easiness of the recipes, the permission to not completely from scratch pie crust bake, and the presence of several favorites that I've just not been able to find since I left the south after college. Besides, I want the Bug to want to cook, and the only way that will happen is if she sees mama cooking. I loved coming home to homemade treats that mom somehow found time to make. I want Bug to have similar memories. Nancie McDermott's cookbook will certainly be one passed on down the road. If only for the Vinegar Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post