|Cold Chocolate Custard with Whipped Cream|
recipe source The Meaning of Pie
This is a wonderful and easy way to have a little sweetness on hand. Remember to plan for 3 hours cooling time before serving.
- ¾ cup whole milk (2% works, too)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Place the milk in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Meanwhile, put the egg, salt, chocolate chips and sugar in the blender. When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the vanilla. In a swift series of motions, pour the milk into the blender, place the lid on the blender and turn on the blender. Be swift, because otherwise you will have scrambled eggs in your pudding. Allow the blender to run for 1 minute.
- Pour the custard into the containers of your choice. Place the custard cups into the refrigerator for a minimum of three hours to allow them to thicken and cool.
- When you are ready to serve the custard, make the whipped cream. In a clean and cold bowl, whip the cream until thickened. Add the confectioners’ sugar and whip just until soft peaks form. Place a dollop of cream on each custard cup.