Custom Search

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Chinese Almond Cookies

Chinese New Year Almond Cookie


Adapted from My Secret Recipe Series: New Year Cookies by Alan Ooi
Makes approximately 50-60 cookies, depending on size
100g ground almonds
150g plain flour
100g caster sugar (I might cut down the sugar to 75g next time, as I prefer a less-sweet cookie)
3/4tsp baking powder
3/4tsp baking soda
pinch salt
100ml corn oil, or other flavourless oil (you may need a little more/less oil depending on the climate you are in)
1 egg yolk, beaten

1. Sieve the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into bowl of your stand mixer.
2. Add the ground almonds to the flour/sugar mixture.
3. With your mixer on medium speed (with the beater attachment),* slowly trickle in the corn oil into the bowl containing the flour/sugar/almonds. Mix until a cohesive dough forms. You may need more or less oil depending on the humidity/moisture levels – the aim is to reach a dough which is just able to hold it’s shape (and doesn’t crumble) when you attempt to roll it into a ball. It’s rather dry here in London at the moment, so I had to use an extra 10ml of oil before the dough came together.
4. Heat the oven to 180’C.
5. Roll the dough into ~2.5cm balls, and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper/a silpat mat. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
6. Using a pastry brush, lightly glaze the tops of the cookie balls with the beaten egg yolk.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies become slightly golden.
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then tuck in.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for sharing these! I LOVE almond cookies. I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make them and enjoy them with someone you love
      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Those sound delicious. I've always loved almond cookies. I think I'll try my hand at these this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese Almond cookies are some of my all time favorite cookies. I have never made them myself. I will try using your recipe - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love almond cookies, but I've never tried making them on my own. The recipe sounds easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. victoria heckstallApril 26, 2017 at 4:02 AM

    I really love your idea about cookies! Its totally awesome and great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Another recipe I can add to my Chinese cuisine -- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yummy! I would love to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love almond cookies! I am definitely going to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this recipe, these look so tasty and the recipe doesn't seem too difficult either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good Almond cookie. I am going to have to try out your recipe. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies sound delicious. I always love a good cookie and the nut aspect sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies sound amazing.They aren't on my diet at the moment though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first I thought these are muffins lol! The cookies look amazing. Great that you infused almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg can we say yum?!?! These cookies look absolutely delicious! I must give them a try

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post