Custom Search

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Why is Ambrosia A Southern Favorite



At our house, Ambrosia salad is a must. I can recall my mother making up a bowl of it the first year that me and my now husband celebrated Christmas. That first year together at Christmas I was a girl still living at home and had been dating for only a few weeks. Now all these years later, 31 to be exact January 3, Ambrosia is a must to have served on Christmas day.

So what is ambrosia?? I am sure some of you may know. It is normally a large bowl of sweet gooey white mass filled with orange slices, yellow pineapple and bright red maraschino cherries. So what is it exactly a salad or a dessert. In our family we call it a dessert salad and have had many of them through out the year but at Christmas it is always Ambrosia.

If you have ever studies mythology you may know that ambrosia in Greek means food for the gods. For my husband his memories of his single mother working hard at a hotel buffet and bringing home some of the sweet dessert is very welcoming to him. Many Southerners also welcome the sweet taste that has become a southern favorite. How exactly did Ambrosia become a Southern treat??

Early recipes of ambrosia require ingredients of sliced oranges, grated coconut, and sugar layered in bowl. The South had grown oranges and other citrus fruits since colonial days. Orange production increased after the civil war and the railroad helped make delivery possible. Coconut supply also went up as railroads and small ships delivering the coconuts worked together. So now we know how the simple salad grew but how exactly did it become ambrosia??

The simple 3 ingredient dish would be changed as variations occurred. Pineapple and oranges would be added as well as instructions to serve with whipped cream. While some called for sherry or other liquor. An early 1900s cookbook would display the dish as a fruit salad having oranges, bananas, pinapple, strawberries, coconut and orange and lemon juice. Ambrosia salad was very special and there fore saved for special occasions.

Adding marshmallows would come next. Marshmallows came about in the early 19th century. France was the place that confectioners started whipping and sweetening sap of the marsh mallow plant. The substance was used in candies. Later egg whites or gelatin and cornstarch was used as a base. The early 20th century would see the marshmallow growing in popularity in the United States.



  • 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed 
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 cup maraschino cherries, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
  • 1 1/2 cups fruit flavored marshmallows

  • In a large bowl, stir together the whipped topping and yogurt. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold remaining ingredients into whipped topping. Chill before serving.

shared this recipe post at 
saturday shuffle
show and tell party

fb group
blog support group === facebook like
social media network ---- clickthrough

21 comments:

  1. This was like my childhood favorite called fruit salad. I would always whine for it when my dad bought his potato salad from the deli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, my family did not buy a lot from deli but my parents sure did cook a lot. Thanks so much for visiting

      Delete
  2. Looks like a nice light treat for the family. I will have to make this for my kids for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kids love ambrosia with the sweet fruit and creamy feel of it all.

      Delete
  3. I'm very picky about my ambrosia salad. My grandmother makes the absolute best version and then there's this little cafe down the street from her home. They live in a small country town in SC and I swear this restaurant has some of the best food I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I married a man who is picky about his ambrosia salad. As a child he ate it somewhere and that taste has never been found again no matter what recipe we use. Thanks for sharing your story

      Delete
  4. This is something that my grandmother made all the time. Not just for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love to make it many other times as well. It is a must at holiday time though

      Delete
  5. I used to eat this in my childhood, but I would simply call it simply fruit salad. It always had to had oranges and pineapple in it, and loads of whipped cream. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it goes by many names but they are most likely all ambrosia

      Delete
  6. I've never had ambrosia before, it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first head of Ambrosia last week! Thanks for filling me in on what it is made of. Very curious to try this fruity concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I've heard of this and I am so curious about it. It looks so good I want to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please do try, it is an old favorite to many but I would love for it to bee a new favorite to you

      Delete
  9. I had no idea that Ambrosia came from the south. My mom makes it all the time and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried ambrosia salad before but it sounds delicious. I love a good fruity salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of Ambrosia Salad before. Here where I live Ambrosia is the name for the plant that causes allergies, so your salad name has surprised me. But the salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had the Amrbosia salad before but it looks so tempting. Would love to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. From the looks of it, no wonder why Ambrosia is southern favorite. It will be my favorite too. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had the Amrbosia salad before but it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tried Ambrosia, although I have definitely heard of food of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post