Hermits are old fashioned spice cookies. Moravians who were known for spicy cookies were called hermhutter in German so these cookies gained the name hermits. There are many variations of Hermits
1/2 cup butter (I used margarine)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped, pitted dates
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream together butter/margarine and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Stir in raisins, walnuts and dates.
- Fold in remaining dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Dropped dough on cookie sheet, and slightly flatten.
- Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes.
two use tuesday