Custom Search

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Hermits are old fashioned spice cookies. Moravians who were known for spicy cookies were called hermhutter in German so these cookies gained the name hermits. There are many variations of Hermits 





1/2 cup butter (I used margarine)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped, pitted dates
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

- Cream together butter/margarine and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Stir in raisins, walnuts and dates.
- Fold in remaining dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Dropped dough on cookie sheet, and slightly flatten.
- Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes.


shared at 
tasty tuesday
two use tuesday

5 comments:

  1. That's such an interesting name for cookies, thanks for giving me the background. I think it will go great with tea or coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of spiced cookie but I am willing to try it. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I have near heard about Hermits before, but these old fashioned cookies looks different & I love that they are spicy ones as well. This one is unique & I would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good. Will be adding this to my list of recipes to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very good but still puzzled over the name for the cookies...LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post