- there are more than 20,000 types of butterflies worldwide
- butterflies wing spans can range from 1/2 inch to 11 inches
- butterflies in their adult stage can live from a week to nearly a year, the length of time depends on the species
- Butterflies can migrate over long distances. Monarch butterflies from Mexico to the northern USA and southern Canada, a distance of about 2500 to 3000 miles
- Butterflies have 2 antennas, four large wings and a narrow body. These insects gain sustenance by drinking nectar through a long tube that resembles a straw. Butterflies will travel during the day time and feed on flowers. Butterflies help pollinate plants but there are a few that can damage crops.
Something else you may or may not know about butterflies is that they depend on flowers and other natural sources for survival. This is where we can help by planting more flowers.