4-8 T butter (1/2-1 stick)
1 med onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-2 t curry powder
1/2-2 t garam masala*
1 sm can tomato paste
2 t ground cardamom (or 12-14 cardamom pods sewn together or tied in cheesecloth)
1/2 t ground ginger (or 1 T fresh ginger, grated)
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 med chicken
- Melt butter in crockpot on high.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 30 mins.
- Add 2nd set of ingredients and stir well.
- Add chicken, and cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and stir in yogurt, if using
- Serve over rice.
You can customize this to your preferred richness (butter) and spiciness (curry and garam masala). At 1/2 t each, the dish is not spicy at all, and completely palatable for children (and okay for nursing moms).
* You can easily mix up your own garam masala:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg