Shepherd’s Pie Jacket Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt
- 1medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Irish cheddar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Wash potatoes and pat dry. Rub potatoes all over with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and coarse salt. Prick a few air holes in each potato with a fork. Bake for 1 hour or until soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Pour the oil into a large cast iron skillet or frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and sauté just until they begin to get tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the meat and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Stir in ketchup, broth and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well. Continue to simmer gently over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the corn and peas to the meat mixture and continue to simmer another 5 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the potatoes have finished baking, remove from the oven and split each down the middle with a knife. Ladle 1/4 of the filling in and around each potato. Top with shredded Irish cheddar, if desired.
recipe source here
craft frenzy Friday