1 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups pecan halves
1 cup confectioners' sugar
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into an 18-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut widthwise into six 3-in. sections; cut each section into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. Roll each strip around a pecan half; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Roll in confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 dozen.
recipe source : Taste of Home
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice concentrate and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint 9 tablespoons red and 2 tablespoons black. Leave remaining icing white. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Place red icing in a pastry bag. With a #3 round pastry tip, pipe Santa's hats, noses and suits. Use black icing for eyes, mittens, belts and boots. With white frosting and a #16 star tip, add the hat trim, mustaches and beards. With a round tip, add the suit trim. Yield: about 6 dozen.