Custom Search

Monday, August 30, 2010

Make Your Home SIng with a few Kitchen Tips


Most of us do the dishes at least daily. There are times where I do them two to three times a day Today may just be one of those days. I just cleaned the kids bedrooms and found tons of dishes they had from the weekend. While I am preparing to wash the dishes I thought I would share with you a few homemaking tips for the kitchen.


  • To get the stains off of cookie sheets, pie pans and other cookware, soak them in a solution of borax and water.

  • If your jars or glasses look cloudy fill them with warm water and add a few drops of ammonia. Wait about an hour - then wash and rinse in hot water. Another solution to this problem is to wash them in a solution of 2 cups vinegar to a sink full of hot water.

  • Silver that has dulled can be shined up again by rubbing a potato dipped in baking soda. Or when you boil potatoes, save the water to soak your silver in. I believe it is the starch from the potato that gets this job done.

  • Never drain grease down the sink! It will clog up your sinks over time. If you forget and do it anyway, be sure to run some hot water with dish soap. Dawn is good for degreasing. If your sink does become clogged up pour 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Wait few minutes and then pour a pot of boiling water down the drain. This has happened more than one time at our house sadly.

  • To clean off the oven window, make a paste of baking soda and water. Rub onto the window and let sit for about 15 minutes. Wipe clean with a paper towel and clear water.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips. I have tried using baking soda for some stains but never borax. I like the potato idea, very clever! Thanks for linking up today to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never heard the tip about Borax for the cookie sheets...I'm definitely going to be trying that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for these tips! I am always looking for ways to make my time in the kitchen more efficient...I feel like I spend more time in there than anywhere else, mostly prepping or cleaning up after meals.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post