Custom Search

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Virginia's Bright Day



June 25th is an important date in Virginia's history. It was on June 25th 1788 that Virginia ratified thee U.S. constitution and was admitted as the 10th state of the Union. Previously located in the state of Virginia were several Indian tribes. The Powhatan, Monacan, Manahoac, Nahyssan, Occaneechi, Susquehanna, Cherokee and Nottaway were present when the first European explorers arrived. 
Sir Walter Raleigh was granted permission from England's Queen Elizabeth I to establish a colony in 1584. Several early expeditions to the New World would fail because they were not adequately prepared. King James I charted thee Virginia company to create a colony in Virginia. Virginia would be the first permanent english settlement in America and it would begin in Jamestown in May 1607. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about the history, even though I'm not American! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, have never heard of this day before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that part of history before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is obsessed with reading about the settlers and colonialism. All started on 4th of Juiy 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love living in Virginia. There is so much history, good and bad. I actually teach US history so this is the perfect place to be.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post