This Memorial Day weekend should be like many others and the roads should be very busy. With families going here and there and the summer gets a big kick off. Will you be traveling this weekend?? you may want to keep these tips from Red Cross in mind
FIVE STEPS TO HIGHWAY SAFETY
1. Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
2. Pay attention – avoid distractions such as cell phones.
3. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches or in bad weather. Don’t overdrive your headlights.
4. Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
5. If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
TRAVEL PREPAREDNESS TIPS Pay attention to the weather forecast for your destination. Travel and weather web sites can help you avoid storms and other regional challenges that could impact your safety. Other things you should do to prepare for your trip include:
1. Don’t let your vehicle’s gas tank get too low.
2. Carry a Disaster Supply kit in your trunk.
3. Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
4. Pay attention to the weather forecast for your destination and find out what disasters may occur there.