Custom Search

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Candy Corn Cake

One of my favorite things about Halloween since I was a kid was the candy corn. Now days you can find more flavors of candy corn than there was years ago but I still prefer the original. This halloween cake inspired by candy corn is one that I find very fun



Cake:


1/2 cup plus
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
 3/4 cup sugar

Frosting:

3/4 cup vegetable shortening
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons milk
Yellow and orange food coloring
Orange sprinkles, optional

Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan; line with parchment paper. Grease parchment. Lightly coat bottom and sides of pan with flour, knocking out excess. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk milk, eggs and vanilla. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Lower mixer speed; beat in half of flour mixture. Beat in milk mixture, then remaining flour mixture. Increase mixer speed to medium-high; beat just until smooth. Scrape batter into pan; smooth top. Bake until cake is light golden and starts to pull away from sides of pan, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack, peel away parchment, turn cake right side up and cool completely. Cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges on a parchment-lined baking sheet; freeze for 30 minutes.

Make frosting:
Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat shortening, butter and vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk; beat until frosting is fluffy. Reserve 1 cup of icing in a small bowl. Divide remaining icing between 2 medium bowls and tint 1 bowl with yellow food coloring and 1 with orange. Working with 1 wedge at a time, leaving remaining cake wedges in freezer, frost pointed end with white icing, middle portion with yellow icing, and outer portion with orange icing. Repeat with remaining cake wedges and frosting. Press sprinkles on outside of wedges, if desired. Chill until ready to serve.

recipe source : All You OCTOBER 2010







NightOwlCrafting
Creations By Kara Create and Share Show and Tell Wednesday Things I Have Done Thursday

5 comments:

  1. I don't like the way candy corn tastes, but it's so festive that I have to buy some each year. I'll bet I love the taste of this cake, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is very cute!! I would be honored if you would link it up to my Commercial Break Thursday!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cake! Thanks for linking up to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo cute! I'd love it if you shared this at my party that started today www.projectqueen.org
    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post