Custom Search

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Get Ready For Spring Flowers

I love flowers. I guess I always have. With many blue ribbons when I was younger from the 4H fair it is no wonder. But my love for flowers started much earlier in life and if it could be said may have simply been in my genes. With generations of women going back to great - greats including my mom and grandma the the green thumb seems to run deep. However, even if you are new to the scene of growing flowers it is not to late to start.



Spring flowers start making their appearance each year starting often in late February and often grow until the heat gets them around June. I can not tell you how many times my school teachers in primary school would receive lilacs or daffodils on a spring school morn. Many spring flowers spring forth from bulbs that will soon grow into stems and blooms. Perhaps you have planted these bulbs many years ago and if not you are preparing to.

Planting of spring flowers often depends on many factors. Will you be planting seeds, seedlings, plants or bulbs??

  • Seeds can come from plants that are all ready existing. In this case they are planted a.s.a.p. following the seed pods ripening in the summer. Some spring flowers will re-seed their selves in late summer and fall. If you sow your own seeds from store bought packets plant in fall. 
  • Some flowers will grow from thick clumps that can be divided to make new plants. This type of growth are known as divisions and should be planted in mid to late fall after dividing into bulbs. You will want to get plants in the ground no later than  a month prior to cold weather. 
  • Bulbs grow from narrow neck at top and rounded base on bottom. Local nurseries and growers can offer planting directions and hardiness zone information

retweet this post here

shared at these blog hops, linkups and parties
best of the weekend

shared at these facebook group linkups
RT club ---- 3/19 =---- 1 rt

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post