Candles are lit and offer a special atmosphere to the holidays. They also add a bit of danger as well. While the light from the candles is beautiful it is still a flame of fire that care must be taken with. The low glow offers the season a bit of quiet peaceful spirit and if we are careful it will be just that. I do remember a time though when a family in our community was devastated when the holiday candles inside their house was lit and left alone and a pet of theirs locked the candle over. The candle caught the curtain and carpet on fire and spread from there. With no one at home the house burned to the ground and it was horrific. A house fire is terrible any time but when that fire takes place during the holidays it is even worst.
To ensure that something like this does not happen to you take care and follow these steps:
- Make sure that all matches and lighters are put in a safe place so that little hands will not be tempted. Statistics show that over 1/2 of all fires are started by children who have been playing with matches or lighters
- Candles that are lit should be out of reach of children and pets. In addition, keep candles at least one foot away from the Christmas tree, curtains, wreaths, and any holiday decor. Many holiday decorations are flammable and will quickly burn
- .Never leave a lit candle unattended.
- There are lots of lovely candle holders. Ensure that the candle holders you choose are sturdy and will not tip over easily. Candle holders should also be made from nonflammable material. Some of my favorite candle holders are the vintage glass candle holders that were solid a bit heavy and were simply to me beautiful.
- If the worst should happen and your house should catch on fire the best thing to do would be to make sure all smoke alarms are working and your children know what to do