Custom Search

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake


12- to 16-ounce loaf good-quality white bread (such as Italian or French bread from the bakery), crust removed, cut in half lengthwise, and then into thin slices.




For the custard:

5 large eggs

2 1/4 cups milk

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt



For the cinnamon cheese filling:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 large egg

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup granulated sugar



Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling

Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-x-13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the bread slices in the baking dish, overlapping and wedging them in tightly so they are in an almost solid layer. To make the custard, whisk the eggs until fully beaten, then whisk in the milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour half of this custard over the bread in the baking dish, letting it settle in and soak the bread thoroughly. Set aside the rest of the custard. To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat the softened cream cheese with the butter, egg, cinnamon, and sugar. Beat until very soft and whipped. Spread over the layer of bread and custard in the pan. Layer the rest of the bread over the cream cheese filling and pour the rest of the custard on top. (At this point, the casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.) Sprinkle with extra cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, for about 50 minutes, or until it is firmly set. Cool for 15 minutes, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and serve.

Recipe Source: http://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/food/recipes/article/recipe-cinnamon-roll-breakfast-casserole.html#ixzz1Kf2HTozL

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I would like to try it sometime.
    Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie! Thanks for stopping by my blog ... let me just say this recipe super yummo!! My kids would love this. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a long time since I've cooked custard and this looks like a yummy recipe. I've book marked your blog and am now following you as well.
    I see some more recipes that I'm going to check out as well.
    Thanks for visiting. Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I'm going to follow you starting now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness - this sounds SO good. I'm afraid I would eat so much of this that I would have to stay in my elastic-waisted pjs all day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything with cinnamon. I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing it at WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this sounds wonderful! What a delicious treat! Thank you so much for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch - hope to see you again at the linky tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to feature this, tomorrow. It is such a goody. Who could pass this by without devouring it?

    Thanks for linking it up. COme on and visit tomorrow and see yourself, up in lights....no not really in lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! What a fun brunch or breakfast recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post