Custom Search

Monday, December 20, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese Soup and a Veggie Tale Song

At one of my first jobs when I was in my early 20s the girls would earn money each year for the Christmas party by selling lunches. One of the weekly affairs was a soup and sandwich lunch Broccoli and Cheese soup was a soup that was nearly always available and I fell in love with it and made it for my family and now it is a soup that I serve here as well.


Cooking spray


1 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets

2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)

Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes. Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan

post shared on Homemakers Haven

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post