Let me share a few facts that the CDC has published as late as September 4, 2009.
- More people have visited their doctor for influenza like illness as of late. In February during the 2008-2009 flu season the doctors visits were at their highest, In April 2009 the new 2009 H1N1 virus emerged and the numbers of doctors visits rose. In the summer the numbers of doctor visits lowered but the numbers were still higher than what is normally expected in the summer.
- The total number of people hospitalized due to influenza are higher than the normal expectations during this time of year
- Most state health officials are reporting regional or sporadic influenza activity with six states (Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and South Carolina) and Puerto Rico are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time. Any reports of widespread influenza activity in August are very unusual.
- Almost all of the influenza viruses identified were the new 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These 2009 H1N1 viruses remain similar to the viruses chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine and remain susceptible to antiviral drugs (oseltamivir and zanamivir) with rare exception.
Presented with the facts the question is now what do we do to help from getting sick? With the number of those getting sick rising what exactly can we do to protect our selves and those that we love.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water may use alcohol based sanitizers. Avoid putting your hands close to your nose or mouth (this is where germy wormy would be useful for your little ones)
- Cover your nose and mouth every time you cough or sneeze, and avoid anyone coughing or sneezing (once again germy wormy has the tools to teach your little ones)
- Face masks can be used when in crowds or when helping a sick person, they are not needed when not around others. They prevent you from inhaling contaminated air.
- Also, the use of the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza can help prevent the disease from 70 to 90 percent. Recommendations for using antiviral drugs for treatment or prevention of swine influenza will change as we learn more about this new virus. (the problem with this is that many people are allergic to Tamiflu so prevention if at all possible is the key)
watch a short snippet of the germy wormy program at work
As I said Germy Wormy would love to offer one of Annies Home readers a chance to win the DVD and 10 pack of sleeves. In order to enter you must tell me why you would love to win the Germy Wormy package.
- Follow my blog
- subscribe to my blog
- follow me on twitter
- tweet about the contest (1 entry per tweet) leave link in comment
- blog about the contest (5 entries per tweet) leave link in comment
Contest starts now and will run through October 1, 2009 Remember email must be on blog or in comment. Good luck to all