Custom Search

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Pastrami Day

 Enjoy a pastrami sandwich on National Pastrami day on January 14th. 



Pastrami meat is normally made from beef. But some use pork, mutton or turkey. It matters not whether you enjoy your sandwich hot or cold. However, it is said when ate hot the true taste of Pastrami shines thru. 

Recipe for Pastrami Sandwich

  • 1/2 pound peppered pastrami
  • 2 thin slices of provolone cheese
  • Handful of arugula
  • 2 slices of rye bread
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 tbsp horseradish
  • 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

  1. Melt butter in skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
  2. Whisk horseradish and balsamic vinegar together and set aside.
  3. Assemble sandwich: horseradish mixture on both pieces of bread, one slice of provolone cheese on the bottom slice of bread, followed by pastrami, arugula and final provolone slice.
  4. Place sandwich in skillet and grill on both sides until bread is golden brown and has a nice crust.
while the pastrami sandwich has gained popularity and in fact is one of my favorites it has not always been this way. The Jewish immigrants from Romania brought this delicious idea with them. Pastrami was first created by butchers in the late 1800s to help preserve other popular meats of the time. It was not until 1887 in New York that the first pastrami sandwich was created and made popular first by a butcher then a little sidewalk cafe. 

Shared at these blog parties 


11 comments:

  1. I love pastrami - this looks like a delicious variation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Hope your week is starting great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves patrami but it is hard to find here. Our stores don't seem to sell this lunchmeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good Pastrami Sandwich. oh you are making me crave right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that there is a Pastrami Day, thanks for this post! I love this sandwich so tummy-filling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pastrami sandwich recipe has my taste buds doing a happy dance already. Excited to celebrate with a mouthwatering bite and learn about the history behind this savory delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I haven’t had pastrami in years! This recipe has me wanting to try it again. I know my family would enjoy this sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything has its day for sure.. and while we don't eat pastrami, i will share this recipe with friends who do

    ReplyDelete
  9. The simplicity of the recipe allows the authentic taste of pastrami to shine through, and I love the choice of rye bread to bring it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a tasty tribute to National Pastrami Day! Your detailed recipe makes it easy to savor the flavor. I appreciate the historical touch about its origin and how it evolved into a beloved sandwich. Excited to try this savory delight – thanks for sharing! Have you tried any variations with different cheeses or bread types?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m not a fan of pastrami but my uncle loves it. I’ll send him this recipe so he can make some killer pastrami sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post